As mosquito control experts in Winston Salem, NC, we know a lot about mosquitoes. With school now in session, now’s a great time to brush up on your mosquito trivia. With that in mind, here are 10 mosquito facts you might not know.
- Mosquitoes have been along longer than you think. They have actually been known from as far back as the Triassic Period, which is 400 million years ago. In North America, they have been known as far back as the Cretaceous period, 100 million years ago.
- There are around 2,700 species of mosquito, with 176 species in the United States alone.
- When they bite you, the average mosquito takes in about 5-millionths of a liter of blood.
- Ever wondered how you’re chosen by mosquitoes? Mosquitoes find hosts by sight, by detecting infra-red radiation emitted by warm bodies; and through chemical signals at distances of 25 to 35 meters.
- Mosquitoes typically fly an estimated 1 to 1.5 miles per hour.
- How far would you travel to get dinner? Salt marsh mosquitoes can and will migrate up to 40 miles for a meal.
- When it comes to mosquito bites, size matters. Bigger people are often more attractive to mosquitoes because they are larger targets and they produce more mosquito attractants, like CO2 and lactic acid.
- Kind of fidgety? You’re probably also targeted by mosquitoes because you will also produce more CO2 and lactic acid.
- Spending time outside? Maybe re-think that black t-shirt. Dark clothing actually has been shown to attract some species of mosquitoes more than lighter colored clothing.
- Is it a full moon? Watch out for bloodsuckers. A full moon can actually increase mosquito activity
Need Help From Mosquito Experts?
Of course, if you have a mosquito problem, it’s not trivia that will save you, but mosquito control service in Winston Salem, NC. We employ a comprehensive strategy to control mosquito populations in and around your Greensboro, NC yard. We use our knowledge and experience from 30 years of service to inspect your yard to get the critters where they live and breed. Mosquitoes breed so quickly that killing the flying adults is not enough to deal with the problem. We come up with a game plan to both remove the pests and prevent them from coming back. Our expert technicians will advise you on how to eliminate the breeding grounds and can even provide seasonal treatment. Take back control today by contacting us for a consultation!